Will and Annie lived at 327 C street. Furniture was bought through store pay of the S.P. Teasdale Company. Will was now earning $75.00 a month, two-thirds of which was given in store pay. The home was a modest four room cottage, consisting of a kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom and a storage room in the basement. Money was borrowed from the Building Society to finance the building of the home which was paid back in monthly payments of about $15.00 or $20.00. The lot was 2 1/2 rods wide by 10 rods deep and Lombardy poplar trees from Gilmer Park were planted around it for shade and a wind break. Grass was planted in the front yard and some fruit trees were planted in the rear. The home was heated with coal stoves in the kitchen and dining room, and a tile fireplace was built in the living room. Coal oil lamps were used for lighting purposes, with a rather large center lighting fixture hanging from the ceiling in the center of the living and dining rooms. Smaller hand lamps were used in the kitchen and bedroom.
The furniture in the bedroom consisted of a large oak double bed, with matching bureau and wash stand. The wash stand had a large china basin and water pitcher and soap dish. The bed had hand embroidered shams. In the dining room, a large square hardwood table was in the middle of the room and there were six cane-bottom dining room chairs to match the table. The table had leaves so that 12 people could be accommodated nicely. The living room was furnished with a hardwood table and two large rocking chairs were placed on each side of the fireplace and a love seat and matching chair was in front of the bay window. In the kitchen was a large coal range with warming ovens at the top which provided the heat and cooking facilities. There was a kitchen table with chairs and a baby’s high chair with wheels on it so that it could be collapsed and used for a carriage. There was a sink with running cold water. Bathing facilities were provided with a portable tub placed in front of the oven door when it was cold.
On January 23, 1894 their first child was born, a boy who was named William Lester. He was a beautiful child with large blue eyes and brown hair. Dr. Van was the attending physician. All of Will and Annie’s children were born at home except Mary, who was born at Grandma Hamilton’s home. Annie had May McFarland attend the births with Dr. Van. Once Will had to take the street car to Millcreek to get May McFarland, but she was at a dance at the Lake. He returned home and at 12:20 Elizabeth was born with only Dr. Van in attendance. After the children were born, she had domestic help until she was able again to manage the home and her family. All twelve children were born of two healthy parents and the children were all physically and mentally fit and were perfect in form This is such a blessing to be born of two healthy parents who did nothing to prevent their children being born about every two years.
As the city grew in population and the L.D.S. Hospital was built on 8th Avenue and C Street, the upper avenues were blessed with having the sewer lines, gas lines, electric lines and larger water mains installed. As Will was always alert to take advantage of these new conveniences, and as his family increased in size, the four room home was remodeled and more modern facilities were provided.
To be continued...
Advertisement from 1918 Country Gentleman Magazine, found at www.flickr.com/photos/dok1/4332898611/.