Thursday, February 18, 2010

Jean Hayward in Germany, May 29, 1908

Here is a post card from Jean Hayward to her fiancé Henry Wessman. She sent the postcard to post office box 1141 in care of [illegible & illegible] in Salt Lake City, but it was forwarded to the State Journal in Odgen, where Henry was probably working.

[Am?] Neuer See
Bootstation im Tiergarten
[New Lake—Boathouse in Tiergarten]


Dear Henry:- Got the book this morning, but no letter, am beginning to wonder what is the matter. The paper was torn nearly off of the book & my name & address were almost torn out. Was just told this morning that unless I looked better, papa would take me back on the boat instead of on a trip, so think I shall try to look as ill as I can. You see I was put to bed yesterday afternoon with another bad headache & as a result look sort of washed out. I will be so glad when I get home & don't have any more headaches. Am nearly wild with excitement, realizing that papa leaves home next Monday. When I think that there are only about 4 more weeks in Berlin, I feel so happy I am almost crazy. Love from "L.G." [On front:] Friday, May 29, 1908

[This postcard was written before the previous card which has Henry Hayward and Clara and Bess on their way to Europe. Jean sounds rather anxious to be home. Was she homesick, or did she miss her fiancé? Or a little of both?]

No comments:

Post a Comment