Monday, February 8, 2010

Jean Hayward in Germany, March 1908

 

Berlin   Das Richard Wagner-Denkmal [The Richard Wagner Memorial]   Prof. G. Eberlein ... 1902 

This statue of the great composer stands on the edge of the Tiergarten and looks fine against the background of green trees. [The Tiergarten is to Berlin what Central Park is to New York City.]


 
 The dedication of the Wagner Memorial in 1903.

 
As you can see, the monument is now protected from the elements. The lyre held by the figure of Wolfram von Eschenbach (Tannhäuser) has been broken, but otherwise the monument has remained much the same through two wars and the ravages of time and vandalism.


Dear mama:- Miss Gates & I are going up town today to get some railroad maps etc. so I will write to papa as soon as I can. I am hoping you are willing I should move, for really it gets worse & worse every day, and I know I will have to go if I want to do any work. I know you won't waste your money on a useless cablegram, but I am anxious to get your letter in answer to Miss Gates' before the first of April. I have a harmony lesson today and have an exercise to write so will say goodbye. Love to all from Jean.

Berlin          Blick vom Rathausturm [View from City Hall]


Dear brother:- Here is some more of Berlin for you to look at. Have you been getting the cards alright? I have sent you so many that I don't know what you have and have not seen of Berlin. Did the Kaiser and his family reach you?
Love from
Sister Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment